Story Writing Tips
Answer the following questions and you will have a great start to your story.
- Who? Who is involved — your Group or District, a supporting organization or company?
- Who does your news affect/who does it benefit?
- What? What is new? What have you completed or taken part in?
- Why? Why is this story of interest — what does it say about Scouting that is new or surprising?
- Where? Where is this happening?
Please provide a postcode if you have one
When? What is the timing of this? Does this add significance?
As a starting point, writing down the answers to these questions can be helpful. It’s then a matter of putting them together in short punchy sentences. That sounds simple, but can be quite challenging. If you can’t get the words right straight away, keep trying.
For more information on our brand and writing style please visit https://members.scouts.org.uk/documents/Brand%20Guidelines%20January%202015.pdf